Friday, March 8th, 2019

US positive on N. Korea denuclearization despite ‘operational’ rocket site

Published 7:34 pm | March 08, 2019

The US still believes the “fully verified denuclearization” of North Korea is possible by the end of President
Donald Trump’s “first term,” a senior official said Thursday, despite warnings a key rocket launch site appears to have resumed operations.

The specialized website 38 North and the Center for Strategic and International Studies used commercial satellite imagery to track construction at the site — which they said began before last week’s aborted summit in Hanoi between Trump and North Korea’s Kim Jong Un.

Images taken on March 6 showed that a rail-mounted structure to transfer rockets to the launching pad appeared to have been completed and “may now be operational.”

Cranes have been removed from the pad, while progress also appeared to have been made on rebuilding the support structure for a rocket engine testing stand.

“Given that construction, plus activity at other areas of the site, Sohae
(Satellite Launching Station) appears to have returned to normal operational
status,” 38 North’s report said.

The news will compound the White House’s frustration over the lack of
progress on talks with the North, following the collapse of a second Trump-
Kim summit without so much as a joint statement, let alone an agreement on
nuclear disarmament.

The official confirmed that Washington would seek from Pyongyang
“clarifications on the purposes” of rebuilding the site, adding so far the US
has not reached “any specific conclusion about what’s happening there.”

“We’re watching in real time, as you are, the developments at Sohae,” he
explained, adding: “We don’t know why they are taking these steps.”

Kim had agreed to shutter Sohae at a summit with the South’s President Moon
Jae-in in Pyongyang as part of confidence-building measures, and satellite
pictures in August suggested workers were dismantling the engine test stand.

Trump equivocated when asked Thursday if he was disappointed about the
news. “We’ll see,” he said. “We’ll let you know in about a year.”

The president had declared that it was “too early” to tell if a previous
report about activity at the site was true, but said he would be “very, very
disappointed in Chairman Kim” if the intelligence checked out.

US media had speculated over whether Trump might tighten the thumbscrews on
Pyongyang following the Vietnam summit, by ratcheting up an already crippling
sanctions regime.

– ‘We have sufficient time’ –

State Department spokesman Robert Palladino affirmed Washington’s
commitment to stay engaged with Kim, however, telling journalists on Thursday
the administration was ready for “constructive negotiation.”

Palladino would not say if Washington had been in contact with Pyongyang
over Sohae, situated on North Korea’s northwest coast, or the aborted summit.

And despite the apparent setback, the senior official insisted “we still
believe this (denuclearization) is all achievable within the president’s
first term.” Unless re-elected, Trump’s term will end in January 2021.

“We have sufficient time,” they said, without mentioning a deadline for
reaching an agreement so the goal could be met.

“Where we really need to see progress and we need to see it soon is
meaningful and verifiable steps on denuclearization as quickly as we can,”
the official added.

“We are mindful that every day the challenge is greater, the threat posed
… is not going away.”

Pyongyang used the site in 2012 and 2016 to launch satellites, a maneuver
Western experts believe informs its development of inter-continental missiles
capable of striking the United States.

CIA director Gina Haspel said in late January that North Korea remains
committed to developing long-range missiles despite its denuclearization
talks with the US. – ‘Snapback’ –

An analysis by two experts at CSIS said the rebuilding of the launch
facility amounted to a “snapback” from the moderate dismantlement North Korea
performed after Trump’s first summit with Kim in Singapore last year.

Joseph Bermudez and Victor Cha said it showed “how quickly North Korea can
easily render reversible any steps taken towards scrapping its WMD program
with little hesitation.”

They called the North Korean actions “an affront to the president’s
diplomatic strategy” that also showed Pyongyang’s “pique” over Trump’s
refusal to lift sanctions.

They noted that the activity has continued despite Trump’s conciliatory
words about Kim since the Hanoi summit, and a US decision to cancel annual
large-scale exercises with South Korea that the North has objected to.

The exercises — Key Resolve and Foal Eagle — were replaced with a shorter exercise that kicked off this week in South Korea to criticism from the North.

(AFP)

Matched Content

দৈনিক সময় সংবাদ ২৪ ডট কম সংবাদের কোনো সংবাদ, তথ্য, ছবি,আলোকচত্রি, ভিডিওচিত্র, অডিও কনটেন্ট কপিরাইট আইনে র্পূব অনুমতি ছাড়া ব্যবহার করা সর্ম্পূণ বেআইনি। সামাজিক যোগাযোগ মাধ্যমে যে কোন কমেন্সের জন্য কর্তৃপক্ষ দায়ী নয়।


Shares